- Image Gallery
Transformer balanced, high performance all-discrete passive equalizer. Comming soon
The LCPQ 4040 is a transformer balanced, high performance all-discrete equalizer with four passive RLC sections in cascade configuration.
Each band has a variable level control ranging from -12dB to +12dB. The four bands of equalization offer selectable Shelving/ Bell on the first and fourth band and selectable HiQ/ LowQ on the second and third band.
Each band can be independently bypassed. When an EQ band is not engaged, the audio signal still travels through the transformers and the discrete circuit but not through the RLC circuit and thus the unit can be used as a high quality unity gain line amp. In addition to the individual bypass, the unit employs a true bypass relay system, where the input signal is connected directly to the output. When the unit is not powered (or in situations where the power accidentally goes down), the bypass relay system is automatically activated and therefore the signal will not disappear.
The LCPQ 4040 features Carnhill high-level audio signal input and output transformers and a combination of four Carnhill and custom made tapped inductors (5% tolerance) that were chosen after extended listening tests and measurements.
The unit consists of Grayhill rotary stepped switches for frequency selection, Bourns plastic conductive potentiometers for boosting/cutting, Wima polypropylene film capacitors (5% tolerance) in the RLC path, Panasonic audio grade electrolytic capacitors in the active circuit and Neutrik connectors for the audio and power connections.
Whether it is used on a single channel or on a stereo buss, the LCPQ 4040 is a very musical and useful EQ. Its sound has been described as 'punchy with weight' to the low end, with 'beautiful presence' in the mids, while boosting the top end can add 'air and sheen but no harshness'.
Each unit is hand-built and hand-wired. All the components are chosen and tested thoroughly for best performance, musicality and long-term reliability.
The LCPQ 4040 requires the PS 230 external power supply. A 2-meter power cable with 6-pin Neutrik connectors is supplied with every EQ.
As this is a boutique hadmade per orer unit, Lead Time may apply
- Miad Audio LCPQ 4040 Side Miad Audio LCPQ 4040 Side
- Miad Audio LCPQ 4040 Signal Flow Miad Audio LCPQ 4040 Signal Flow
- Miad Audio LCPQ 4040 Miad Audio LCPQ 4040
- Miad Audio LCPQ 4040 Front Miad Audio LCPQ 4040 Front
- Miad Audio LCPQ 4040 Rear Miad Audio LCPQ 4040 Rear
- Miad Audio LCPQ 4040 Inside Peak Miad Audio LCPQ 4040 Inside Peak
- Miad Audio LCPQ 4040 Detail Miad Audio LCPQ 4040 Detail
- Fully discrete (transistor) circuit
- Transformer (Carnhill) balanced input and output
- Carnhill and custom made tapped inductors
- Thirty four selectable frequencies
- 12dB of Gain/ Attenuation per band
- Selectable Shelving/ Bell on Band1 and Band4
- Selectable HiQ/ LowQ on Band2 and Band3
- Individual bypass on each band
- True bypass relay system
- Small components tolerance for stereo configuration
- Hand-built and hand-wired
- 3-year labour and parts warranty
BAND 1: 45Hz, 65Hz, 100Hz, 180Hz, 330Hz, 470Hz
BAND 2: 180Hz, 220Hz, 270Hz, 330Hz, 390Hz, 470Hz, 560Hz, 680Hz, 820Hz, 1kHz, 1.3kHz
BAND 3: 1.2kHz, 1.5kHz, 1.8kHz, 2.2kHz, 2.7kHz, 3.3kHz, 3.9kHz, 4.7kHz, 5.6kHz, 6.8kHz, 8.2kHz
BAND 4: 3.3kHz, 4.7kHz, 6.8kHz, 10kHz, 15kHz, 23kHz
- Frequency Response: 10Hz - 20kHz (+0/ -0.3dB), 10Hz - 60kHz (+0/ -3dB)
- THD+N: Less than 0.018%, +4dbu, 20Hz - 20kHz, unity gain, 20 kHz BW
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio:
- Maximum Output Level: +18dbu, 20Hz - 22kHz into 600 Ohms
- Dynamic Range: 108dB re +18 dBu, 22 kHz BW
- Input: Transformer Balanced XLR (1.Chassis, 2.Signal +, 3. Signal -)
- Output: Transformer Balanced XLR (1.Chassis, 2.Signal +, 3. Signal -)
- Width: 482.6mm (19-inch rack)
- Height: 43.7mm (1U rack)
- Depth: 300mm
- Weight (approx.): 3kg
To my ears, inductor–based equalisers just sound more natural, and this Miad equaliser certainly confirms that view. All in all, I have to say that I am very impressed with both the engineering and musicality of the LCPQ 4040.
Sound On Sound
For those seeking a top-class EQ, the LCPQ 4040 is a must to try out. It could be the missing link in the signal path, which will make the processed signal significantly improve its sound. In such tracks as the bass drum, snare drum, bass, guitar or vocals this EQ can do things practically impossible for plug-ins. In my opinion, the LCPQ 4040 is one of the most interesting equalizers of this type currently available on the market.