"Carnhill" Class A mic/line amp/EQ in API 500 series format, derived from the legendary Neve 1073
The Audio Maintenance ez1073-500 is a mono, Class A, mic pre-amp, line amp and EQ/Filter module inspired by original 1073 units. It comes in dual-slot 500 Series format.
Fully populated with Carnhill transformers and inductors to achieve its distinctive classic sound, this high-end hand-built British module offers exceptional quality and a great sounding preamp and EQ for your 500 Series rack. Not surprising when you consider that it is derived from the legendary Neve 1073, but surprising when you read the comments by users that rate it alongside the original units.
· Classic 3 stage (Class A) amplifier design
· All discrete component (no surface mount devices)
· Entirely hand assembled and tested in the England to exacting quality standards.
· Mic Input: Carnhill transformer balanced (Classic VTB9045) +10dB to +65dB gain, rotary switchable in 5dB steps and switchable 300/1200 Ohm impedance input.
· Line Input: Carnhill transformer balanced (Classic VTB9046) - 20dB to +20dB, rotary switchable in 4dB steps (centre 0dB), 10k Input Impedance
· Line Output: Carnhill transformer balanced (Classic full size output transformer)
· EQ/Filter Stage: 3 inductor (Class A) amplifier design
· HF (12kHz) +/- 16dB gain continuously variable
· MF (switchable; 360Hz, 700Hz, 1.6kHz, 3.2kHz, 4.8kHz & 7.2kHz) +/- 16dB gain continuously variable
· LF (switchable; 35Hz, 60Hz, 110Hz & 220Hz) +/- 16dB gain continuously variable
· Low Pass Filter (switchable; 50Hz, 80Hz, 160Hz & 300Hz) -18dB per Octave
· Phantom and polarity switches
· The XLR behind the left hand side is the Mic Input
· The XLR behind the right hand side is the Line Input
· The output is duplicated on both of the output XLRs
· Stainless steel chassis
· Total current consumption 110mA (per unit)
· For use in API (and compatible) Lunchbox and VPR500 racking systems.
...we found the ez1073-500 to be indistinguishable from our Neve 1070Ls. It was far closer in sound than even our Neve 1064s, which was a shock to say the least.
...I would definitely recommend this piece to anyone in the market for a Neve clone. I shouldn't even call it a clone. This thing is real!